Winter Safety Check for Busses
Fleet managers have the significant task of preparing their bus fleets for the harsh winter season. One of the first things that should be done when the weather starts to turn colder is to complete a winter safety check for the entire bus fleet. Here are some items to be sure to check off of your to-do list to avoid issues with your fleet throughout the winter.
- Choose correct tires for your climate. Be sure to change any tires that appear to be coming to the end of their life.
- Check batteries and ensure there are no issues with the starters.
- Check the output voltage of the alternators.
- Check fluid levels and top up anything that isn’t full.
- Ensure heaters and blowers are working properly.
- Keep fuel tanks full throughout the winter to reduce condensation.
- Consider using block/oil pan heaters for quicker starts and warm up.
Now that winter is nearly here and the days are getting shorter and colder, it is a great idea to plan ahead to make sure your bus fleet is ready to conquer the winter season. Use this winter checklist to help plan ahead and keep your fleet running during the cold months of the year, and to ensure the safety of your drivers and passengers.