Winterizing School Buses
When managing your fleet of school busses, it’s important to remember to winterize every unit. As the weather is starting to get colder, and the ground is starting to freeze up – some considerations should be made to ensure your fleet is properly maintained for the winter time.
Follow these great tips to help get your school bus fleet ready for this coming winter.
- Check over the batteries in each bus. Ensure the cables and terminals are clean – if needed, remove the batteries, clean them, and reinstall with a corrosion inhibitor.
- Check all cable connections at the starter of each bus.
- Test anti-freeze levels, as well as the freeze point, boiling point, and PH levels. Top off the anti-freeze and check to be sure it will last through the winter.
- Check the radiator to be sure air is flowing properly.
- Look over every belt and hose to be sure they are not at risk of cracking.
- Test all heaters and defrosters before it gets too cold.
- Check all lights, window wipers, and washers to be sure your drivers and passengers will be safe on the road.
- Perform all general maintenance to each bus – make sure tire pressures are up, oil and filters have been recently changed, and check gear boxes and chassis.